Alex Wilkinson is an NHS respiratory consultant working in Hertfordshire. He has a degree in Medical Sciences from the University of Cambridge and qualified in Clinical Medicine from Oxford University in 2005. Apart from a year working in Muheza, Tanzania he has been working continuously for the NHS since then and became a consultant in Respiratory medicine in 2016. He is lead for the British Thoracic Society on Sustainable Respiratory Care and an associate of the Centre for Sustainable Healthcare, but the views expressed on this site are his own. He has never received any funding from any pharmaceutical firm or done any industry-sponsored research.
Like you, he cares about the environment, and recognises that healthcare must adapt if it is to be sustainable in the long term. He wants you to be informed about the impact of your inhalers, to equip you with the knowledge you need to make the right choices, and find the best treatment.
- Wilkinson, A.J.K., Anderson, G. Sustainability in Inhaled Drug Delivery. Pharm Med 34, 191–199 (2020). https://doi.org/10.1007/s40290-020-00339-8
- BMJ open paper – https://doi.org/bmjopen-2018-028763
- Wilkinson, Alexander et al. Our patients and our planet—holistic considerations for inhaler choice Lancet Respiratory Medicine, 2019, Volume 7, Issue 3, e11
- Hopkinson NS, Hart N, Jenkins G, et al.Climate change and lung health: presidential failure, professional responsibility Thorax 2019;74:627-628.
- Wilkinson, Alexander and Mortimer Frances. Sustainable Respiratory Healthcare:Environmental Impact of Inhalers Respiratory Drug Delivery Europe 2019
- Frances Mortimer, Jennifer Isherwood, Alexander Wilkinson, and Emma Vaux Sustainability in quality improvement: redefining value Future Hosp J June 2018 5:88-93; doi:10.7861/futurehosp.5-2-88
- Braggins R, Smith J, Wilkinson A The true cost of switching to low global-warming potential inhalers. An analysis of NHS prescription data in englandThorax 2018;73:A196.
- Hopkinson NS, Hart N, Jenkins G, et al. Climate change and lung health: the challenge for a new president Thorax 2017;72:295-296.
- Tsangarides A, Wilkinson A, Mir F Disadvantages of salbutamol pressurised metered-dose inhalers (pMDIs)Thorax 2018;73:A193-A194.